Subject: Re: locale database(was Re: utmp file format change)
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/23/2001 05:02:29
	YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp> said:

> is there any related-issue with locale database?
> locale database is touched only by libc, while utmp is
> touched directly by applications.
> so no (or less) problem about changing locale database format, I think.
> am I wrong?

If libc was always dynamically linked, there was no problem.
But because libc may be statically linked, we cannot change the format.
(If we only provided dynamic version of libc, this problem would
 disappear, but currently we cannot make such choice.)

But situation is better for locale database compared to utmp.
Because locale database is read-only file, we can change pathname of
locale database, whenever its format is changed.
For example, adding version suffix to somewhere of pathname is enough.
--
soda