Subject: Re: upgrade to mv
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/15/2001 18:53:03
On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 06:42:36PM +0200, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> This is because on DOS the shell (i.e., command.com) does not interpret
> wildcards.  On Unix, depending on what shell you're using, and what files
> matching *.dis already are there, you will get different parameters.

I was just pointing out a particular feature I would like to
see.  Just mentioning MS-DOS in this forum should date me as
someone who knows the difference between Unix and DOS
wildcards.

And, quite frankly, I would be perfectly happy fooling the
shell with, say

	REN {}.cob {}.dis

if REN needed it and knew how to deal with it.

And, in passing, I would not sacrifice

	mv *.c /var/tmp/

	COPY \var\tmp\*.c

with an implied "." even though the former is more dangerous.
And MS-DOS chokes on the trailing "/" too.

Just odd ideas that just are outlandish enough in the Unix
paradigm to need some lateral thinking.  Adding options to
existing commands is seldom the way to go.

++L