Subject: Re: upgrade to mv
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/15/2001 18:10:51
On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 06:01:34PM +0200, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Robert Schmid <robert_schmid@fourthgen.com> writes:
>
> >mv -l source will convert the filename to all lower case and
> >mv -u source will convert the filename to all upper case.
>
> Bleargh!!! This is so anti-Unixish, it makes my toenails fall off!!!

Only because you think of it as "move" :-)  It is an
understandable and convenient operation for "rename".  And
useful in environments where SAMBA or some of the exotic
filesystems are in daily use.

It's nice to know that commands with this functionality have
been introduced, despite the "but it's not Unix!" attitude we
all seem to suffer from in some degree or other :-)

++L