Subject: Re: upgrade to mv
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/15/2001 08:56:43
>(1) it breaks the existing, long-understood usage of mv, which (a bit
>too) briefly is "mv src dest".  you now have "mv src" which ... really
>doesn't follow.  8-)

putting it that way reminds me that i've always wanted an option to mv
where i could specify the destination as the argument to an option,
rather than as the last argument in the list.  it would mean i could
do things like:

	find . -name \*.html -print0 | xargs -0 mv -d otherplace

and not use

	mv `find . -name \*.html` otherplace

which loses if (1) there are too many files, (2) they have weird
characters in the names, or (3) the shell's quoting semantics are just
a little off form what i expected.

cp (and maybe ln as well) would, of course, need to grow in the same
way to be complete.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|