Subject: Re: default /dev/tty* mode and ownership
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/30/2001 07:42:21
>       i was wrong about two things, so ignore my message above.
>       - it was group tty, not group wheel
>       - proposed permission change is from 666 to 620, so the above discussion
>         does not apply.  now the problem is, is it okay for every tty-
>         modifying binary to be setuid/setgid'ed?  you saw various objections.

No, no, no! (It's getting hard, let me rephrase)

Currently:
/dev/tty is mode 666 root/wheel
/dev/tty[pqrs]* are mode 600 root/wheel, and are changed to mode 620
`whoami`/tty when you log in.

Proposed permission change is:
/dev/tty stays mode 666 root/wheel. We donc change /dev/tty
/dev/tty[pqrs]* turns into mode 620 root/tty. They are still changed to
mode 620 `whoami`/tty when you log in.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Sryvpvgngvbaf!