Subject: default /dev/tty* mode and ownership
To: None <>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/28/2001 10:40:52

Still about the sshd running on a read-only /dev: sshd now accepts to
log in if the tty is owned by root and the filesystem is read-only,
Additionnaly, it wants the tty to be mode 620, else the connexion is

Thus, it's now possible to use sshd with a read-only /dev, but this
needs a minor setup: we need to chmod 620 /dev/tty* before the media
goes read-only. It would be nice to have a default setup that makes
possible to use sshd with a read-only /dev.

Currently, /dev/tty* are created mode 600 root/wheel. Is there any
problem creating them mode 620 root/tty? Do we ever chgrp them to
something else than group tty? And is there any implication of allowing
group tty to write on a non allocated tty?

Emmanuel Dreyfus.  Cette signature vous est fournie telle quelle, sans
aucune garantie de fonctionnement. En la lisant, vous acceptez
implicitement tous les degats qu'elle pourrait causer, materiellement
ou logiciellement.