Subject: default /dev/tty* mode and ownership
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/28/2001 10:40:52
Hello

Still about the sshd running on a read-only /dev: sshd now accepts to
log in if the tty is owned by root and the filesystem is read-only,
Additionnaly, it wants the tty to be mode 620, else the connexion is
rejected.

Thus, it's now possible to use sshd with a read-only /dev, but this
needs a minor setup: we need to chmod 620 /dev/tty* before the media
goes read-only. It would be nice to have a default setup that makes
possible to use sshd with a read-only /dev.

Currently, /dev/tty* are created mode 600 root/wheel. Is there any
problem creating them mode 620 root/tty? Do we ever chgrp them to
something else than group tty? And is there any implication of allowing
group tty to write on a non allocated tty?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.  Cette signature vous est fournie telle quelle, sans
aucune garantie de fonctionnement. En la lisant, vous acceptez