Subject: Re: "tcpdchk" doesn't know that "sshd" uses tcp wrappers
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/01/2001 11:43:24
>Thanks for committing that.
>
>To answer your question, I found that most of the gnome apps link
>against libwrap, because of ORBit, but that doesn't mean it would be
>useful to make an exception for them (to the warning). My short list
>has three more from the base system and one from pkgsrc:
>
>	rpcbind		(for sure!)
>	supfileserv
>	ypserv
>	afpd		(netatalk print server)

	hmmmm... it seems that the current methodology (maintain static
	database in tcpdchk) does not scale well.  i guess it better to
	- have /etc/foo.conf, which is a list of apps with embedded libwrap
	  support,
	- let tcpdchk use /etc/foo.conf,
	- and ship netbsd with default /etc/foo.conf, which has list of all
	  apps with libwrap support in the base tree

	i'm not too sure about this since:
	- too much gratuitous difference with other libwrap implementation
	- why do we have to do this much on tcpdchk?  it maybe okay to ignore
	  these warnings altogether
	maybe we should propose it to wietse.

itojun