Subject: Re: w cmd on energy saving machines: problem and proposed solution
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/19/2001 17:11:31
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

: - /dev is mounted noatime (I want to make the disk spin down when unused, and
:   I was told to set noatime for this)

Possibly easier solution to this:  in an early-start rc.d script, mount a
MFS over /dev and extract a vanilla "MAKEDEV all" tree with tar(1), from a
file like /etc/boot-dev.tar.gz.  Making a "BEFORE: root" script should be
sufficient.  Not only can you use devmtime and atime on that, you get
low-latency mtime/atime updates, and can mount your / nodev (or even ro).

In fact, that's what I do for my netboot machines (for both /dev and /var),
which only need /dev/console in the NFS root and have a RO /--and once I fix
init(1), won't need /dev/console either.  I just happen to be running 1.4.x
on the netboot boxen still, so I haven't converted the procedure to rc.d

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/