Subject: Re: screen(1) vs. window(1), ksh vs. sh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/02/2001 23:13:51
Greg A. Woods writes:

>What do you mean?  It inserts a tab character just like any other key
>that represents a printing character!
>
>OH!  You mean command/file/whatever _completion_!  :-)
>
>(which by default is ESC ESC in pdksh emacs mode and, IIRC, optionally
>just ESC in vi command-mode or optionally TAB in insert-mode)

I think he was referring to /bin/sh, which is not *ksh, and which,
at least according to my memory, does not implement completion of
any sorts.  JFTR, I too, prefer a working tab key (i.e., insert
a horizontal tabulator character into the line).
/bin/sh is using libedit, I don't think it would be too hard
to implement some sort of completion (preferrably with the
_standardized_ (see SUSv2) ksh style, i.e. esc-esc for emacs mode,
and esc-\ for vi, not with tab -- at least for standards conformance).

--mkb