Subject: Re: screen(1) vs. window(1), ksh vs. sh
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/02/2001 11:59:43
[ On Saturday, June 2, 2001 at 14:57:27 (+0200), jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: screen(1) vs. window(1)
>
> [bash(1) vs. ksh(1)]
> > Heck even /bin/sh on NetBSD is almost as usable!  ;-)
> Yes. But the TAB key does not work. ;-)

What do you mean?  It inserts a tab character just like any other key
that represents a printing character!

OH!  You mean command/file/whatever _completion_!  :-)

(which by default is ESC ESC in pdksh emacs mode and, IIRC, optionally
just ESC in vi command-mode or optionally TAB in insert-mode)

(damn, I'm typing this message in emacs, but as soon as I type the word
'vi' my fingers start using vi commands!  :-)

I can't say I've ever really missed filename completion in any shell,
though I do sometimes the associated completion-listing feature in pdksh
to be very useful (both for commands and filenames).  Of course I might
not miss it too much because I touch-type well enough that typing the
whole name even after reading it in the list is not a bother to me.

I do use the name completion features in emacs much more, but that's
because I don't often remember the exact "phrase" used to form the
usually much longer variable and function names.  Inside emacs such
completion is much more natural too, since it's usually always turned on
in the minibuffer and you don't have to remember which ESC/meta/ctrl
sequence it is!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods