Subject: Re: screen(1) vs. window(1)
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/02/2001 11:41:20
[ On Saturday, June 2, 2001 at 10:40:30 (+0200), wojtek@3miasto.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: screen(1) vs. window(1)
>
> > incredibly useful to me.  (I've had very important jobs get killed in
> > the middle because ssh timed out after too many packets were dropped, etc.)
>
> sound like working with polish networks and our national telecom...

:-)  maybe!  it was actually my cable modem.  a similarly large
bureaucracy I'm sure.  the frustrating part was that I was often only
connecting across a GIF tunnel to another cable modem and yet still had
to suffer an *average* of 7% packet loss day in and day out across their
internal networks!  :-)

I seem to remember by days using 1200bps modems, and in the early days
of call waiting, where the slightest scratch on the line would drop the
call, and still not having as much trouble.

If there ever was an argument for using screen it's ssh over a lossy network!

--
							Greg A. Woods