Subject: Re: cron syslogs
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/15/2001 10:46:17
>Cron currently use argv[0] as its syslog identity, which usually
>includes the full path. The easiest way out is to more or less
>s/ProgramName/getprogname()/, but it also changes the name to
>uppercase for subprocesses, which would get lost with that change. Is
>this undocumented (?) feature something we wish to retain? It still
>logs what it's doing:
>
>May 15 11:00:00 blubb /USR/SBIN/CRON[469]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/newsyslog)
>
>so I don't really see the the need for uppercase here.

off the top of my head, i'd say it's there to differentiate "cron, the
running daemon who starts stuff" from "cron, a child of the
aforementioned daemon who is now monitoring a job".

in the case of the syslog entry...i think it's just a side effect of
the fact that openlog(3) is called with ProgramName as the ident.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|