Subject: Re: OSS audio emulation [ossaudio(3)] is still source-incompatible
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/08/2001 22:30:34
On Sun, 6 May 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Sunday, May 6, 2001 at 00:59:21 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
>
> BTW, you'll need this for 8-bit displays (I've already sent it to the
> author, along with a comment about why I added GrayScale tests):

8-bit... yuck. It does look better in PseudoColor with your patch --
without it, it doesn't make a new color map, and that really doesn't
leave enough colors for Squeak. Just for grins, I tried restarting the
Xserver with "-bpp 8 -cc {0,1,2,3,4,5}", and Squeak won't run if the
root window is anything but PseudoColor. It does this...

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  8

both with and without your patch.

> and that leaves the question of what to do about /dev/dsp

Linux evidently has both a /dev/dsp and a /dev/audio, so it's wrong to
hard-code /dev/dsp anyway. The ideal solution might be for programs to
respect the value of AUDIODEVICE. [Do as I say, not as I do :-)]

Frederick