Subject: Re: /etc/security issues
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/03/2001 15:47:36
>> the current /etc/security (along with the current /etc/rc.subr and the
>> current /etc/defaults/security.conf) already has a mechanism for doign
>> rcs based file backups.
>
>It is useless from the point of view of using the result to help
>facilitate upgrades.  Branches must be used so that changes between
>released versions can be tracked.

it's not on a branch yet.  it will eventually be on the 1.6 branch
when that happens.  i don't think it will show up on the 1.5 branch.

>> ...we should make it easier on the admin who wants to archive /etc/foo
>> and /etc/rc.d/foo so that the backups do not step on each other.
>> the bootparams file was given only as an example.
>
>any /etc/rc.d/* is a bad example  :-)

any sysadmin is free to add files to rc.d and as such, they may wish
to track changes to those scripts.  alternately, any sysadmin can also
add files to changelist if they feel like it, and as such, must not be
forced to lose if files they add have the same basename as other files
listed in the changelist.

you might not like the example, but the principal holds.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|