Subject: Re: obj.${MACHINE_ARCH}-${OBJECT_FMT}
To: Ben Harris <>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/29/2001 02:13:13
I think its handy to provide for a OBJDIRSUFFIX that may be independent
of MACHINE*.  I'm not so crazy about the symlink bit - perhaps there
should be a knob to enable that?

FWIW you could do this sort of thing use MAKEOBJDIR in the environment:

note the single quotes - MACHINE_ARCH and OBJECT_FMT won't be resolved
until make goes to see if that dir exists.  This would allow the sparc
folk to just change MACHINE_ARCH in the environment, and not have to
worry about the symlinks.

BTW you can do quite cool things with MAKEOBJDIR:

allows you to create an object tree under OBJTOP which parallels SRCTOP
in much the same way MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX works, but neater - eg. you get:
instead of: