Subject: Re: obj.${MACHINE_ARCH} etc
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/2001 17:25:12
On 18 Apr 2001 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

> 		It would seem that the vast majority of Makefiles should be able
> 		to share on ${MACHINE_ARCH}. Would it make sense to have the
> 		default be ${MACHINE_ARCH} and override to ${MACHINE}?
>
> This would break on sparc ports, where MACHINE is either `sparc' or
> `sparc64' depending on the CPU and MACHINE_ARCH is either `sparc' or
> `sparc64' depending on the ABI in use.
>
> I suppose we could change the 64-bit MACHINE_ARCH to `sparcv9' but
> that would cause certain disruption.

	Just to confirm - on sparc64 the sparc/sparc64 ABI applies to the
	entire tree? If so then wouldn't it work unless you're sharing an obj
	tree between sparc64 in 32bit mode and sparc64 in 64bit mode?
	(Assuming a given dir does not have MACHINE_ARCH and MACHINE obj
	dirs)

	I agree it would be cleaner to switch the 64-bit MACHINE_ARCH :/

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --