Subject: Re: groff-1.16.1 reach-over
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/16/2001 15:03:48
[ On Sunday, April 15, 2001 at 22:42:22 (-0400), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: groff-1.16.1 reach-over
>
> >It is in the reachover I posted. (grohtml wasn't in 1.10).
>
> speaking of reachovers...it might be nice if reachovers were all
> documented.  i recently (last month, iirc) kinda broke current builds
> by futzing with something in cksum, while not realizing that mtree was
> reaching over and "borrowing" a few files.

It would be even nicer if such "reachovers" (what a horrible name!) were
to be abolished completely and forever.  This is yet another example of
how the use of VPATH-like makefiles is dangerous and far more trouble
than it's worth.  It's simply not a clean way to build code -- i.e. it's
simply un-hygienic.

As for functionality that's shared in-tree between several programs,
well clearly it should always be put in a library.  That'll even make
the dynamic linking nuts happy!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods