Subject: groff-1.16.1 reach-over
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/09/2001 19:21:18
Hi!

At
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/wiz/
you'll find a new reach-over build structure for groff-1.16.1.

To test it, extract the tar.gz in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin, after moving
aside your groff dir, grab a groff-1.16.1 tar-ball from your nearest
GNU mirror site, convert it with
	groff2netbsd groff-1.16.1 /usr/src
(or, if you don't trust it, which is fine, s,/usr/src,., and move the
groff subdir to gnusrc/dist/groff).

I tested it with various man files, and it even survived a `make
build' on 1.5T/macppc (if you want to try this, please use the
NetBSD.dist mtree file found at the URL above before the build --
otherwise installation will fail because of some needed directories)
-- since I heard that there had been some problems with its c++ code
in the past, it would be nice to have someone test it on some
platforms where c++-compilation is more of an adventure ;)

Most of the cat'ted man pages I got after the build (I installed the
new groff before the build) looked exactly like before, some not;
except for indentation, it seems that some man pages lost boldness,
see tcpdump.diff for cat8/tcpdump.0 (at the URL mentioned above).

Some open questions:
o psroff: what is it good for? Do we really need it? It's not coming
  with groff, is it a NetBSD invention or just something left over
  from groff 1.08 or earlier? (It's not in the 1.08 tar ball I could
  find, but the commit message states: 'Check in remainder of groff
  1.08').
o /usr/share/tmac/tmac.mse looks quite different than when you just
  './configure; make; make install' groff from the original tar-ball.
  Anyone know what's up with this?
o Do we want the tmac.m{an,arkup,doc,e,s} file which just include
  tmac.{an,arkup,doc,e,s}? (I didn't install them for now.)
o I don't think our soelim needs any new functionality; but I could be
  mistaken, since I don't really now what the new '-C' compatibility
  mode of GNU groff wants to achieve (the code looks... weird in that
  place). And I wouldn't know what version string to return on '-v'.
  Comments?
o I'm using a slightly modified nroff.sh (see groff/nroff in the
  tar-ball) -- our /bin/sh complains about the locale test:
	locale: not found
  bash and ksh don't. So I just commented it out, since we don't have
  a 'locale' binary anyway.
o Is the new formatting for tcpdump fine?
o FYI: psbb(1) died.

Please test, and report any problems.

Thanks,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,