Subject: Re: exit(-x) cleanup
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/06/2001 22:57:52
>> Subject: Re: exit(-x) cleanup
>> [some shell] treats it as unsigned.

> Is that really true, or is that because the architecture you're on
> has either signed or unsigned chars and one of those implementations
> is doing the wrong thing?  :-)

What is "the wrong thing"?  Exit statuses (stati? :) are only eight
bits wide; whether they're "supposed" to be 0..255, -128..127, or 0.127
with the other values machine-dependent, I've never seen specified

And which, if any, of these bits of software are wrong (programs
passing small negative values ot exit, shells treating the exit status
as signed or unsigned or whatever) depends on that.

					der Mouse