Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: Simon J. Gerraty <>
From: Antti Kantee <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/28/2001 01:55:24
On Tue Mar 27 2001 at 14:41:28 -0800, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> >>  > run file from ${.OBJDIR} instead of ${.CURDIR} to make it work with
> >>  > objdir builds also
> >>
> >> Isn't this going to be problematic for cross-builds?
> >Yes. Working on it. Suggestions appreciated.
> I didn't see the original post so don't know what tool we are talking about
> but I've had no problems running host tools out of ${.OBJDIR} when
> cross-building at work.  Mind you we don't build anything which needs
> to be both host compiled and target compiled (ie we don't install cc etc).
> If you can point me at the original issue I may be able to suggest a solution.

New file(1) uses file -C to compile the magic database into a more
efficient format. We therefore need both host & target binaries, the
first to compile the magic database with and the latter for normal

Well, the real fun part is of course that we'd actually need to run the
_target_ file binary to create a compiled database which is usable on
the target.

Antti Kantee <>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD             i