Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/28/2001 01:55:24
On Tue Mar 27 2001 at 14:41:28 -0800, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> >>  > run file from ${.OBJDIR} instead of ${.CURDIR} to make it work with
> >>  > objdir builds also
> >>
> >> Isn't this going to be problematic for cross-builds?
>
> >Yes. Working on it. Suggestions appreciated.
>
> I didn't see the original post so don't know what tool we are talking about
> but I've had no problems running host tools out of ${.OBJDIR} when
> cross-building at work.  Mind you we don't build anything which needs
> to be both host compiled and target compiled (ie we don't install cc etc).
>
> If you can point me at the original issue I may be able to suggest a solution.

New file(1) uses file -C to compile the magic database into a more
efficient format. We therefore need both host & target binaries, the
first to compile the magic database with and the latter for normal
reasons.

Well, the real fun part is of course that we'd actually need to run the
_target_ file binary to create a compiled database which is usable on
the target.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/             i            http://www.NetBSD.org/