Subject: Re: ftp_proxy
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/23/2001 07:26:34
> i.e. I agree with the rhetorical question:
>
> > Shouldn't ftp behave the same independent of the use of a proxy?

Well, yes, but since FTP and proxy FTP (aka HTTP) have little in
common this isn't as easy as it might be.

RFC 1738 talks about ;type=<type-code> as a suffix to FTP URLs, where
<type-code> is 'a', 'd', or 'i'.  Maybe hints can be given this way to
the misbehaving proxies to use IMAGE mode?

Aside: has anyone identified which proxy or proxies are using ASCII
mode for FTP URLs?  A proxy that volunteers to use ASCII mode for just
about anything seems strange to me.

Regards,

Giles