Subject: ftp_proxy
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/22/2001 16:28:18
Hi,

so I decided to finally look why I got checksum errors on some, but not
all files, when trying to build some packages from source.

Turns out that the problem is that I'm using a proxy to fetch the data,
and that it adds CR to the end of the lines on text files.

Looking deeper into ftp source, it seems there is an inconsistency here.
While ftp, when not using a proxy, goes out of its way to fetch a
file in image mode by default, it doesn't do so when going via a proxy.

Furthermore, without a proxy, it even tries to deduce the user's intention
by scanning a trailing ";type=i", including stripping this extension from
the resulting filename for saving onto the local disk.

In contrast to that, when using a proxy, and trying to get the unmodified
file you add a trailing ";type=i" to the url, ftp doesn't strip off this
extension.

Shouldn't ftp behave the same independent of the use of a proxy?

Currently, scripts trying to make use of ftp (like the package framework),
would need to look whether the ftp_proxy environment variable is set, and
recover from the different behaviour (which the package framework currently
doesn't do).

Comments?

Ciao,
Wolfgang