Subject: Disk query
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Murray Armfield <marmfiel@bigpond.net.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/10/2001 01:50:33
Hi folks,
	I am not sure about this situation at all and I was wondering if anyone
could help. I have a NetBSD-1.5 i386 box that may have a faulty hard
disk, but that's not the issue. After the machine has been sitting for a
while (multiple hours) and I try to log in, this IDE disk fails
sometimes, randomly, and the system has has effectively come to a halt.
Can't switch anything, just end up watching a stream of messages telling
me the system can't read from this particular disk. Now this disk is
mounted elsewhere, its one of my backup disks (not for long). It stores
no executables or data relevant to NetBSD, just users home directories.
	I was wondering if there is something I can do to regain the system or
am I just being impatient not waiting for the system to come back. (I
have waited some)

Regards,
	Murray