Subject: Re: "daily insecurity output" annoyance
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2001 17:39:21
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 10:30:11AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> I have similar complaints.  How about "nopw" being the magic string
> you're looking for?  Better yet, "*nopw", with "*" meaning "/etc/security
> should ignore this; the remaining characters may be significant to
> something else".  That way, we can "*files-only" for an ownership id,
> "*ssh-only", "*anon-ftp", etc.

It's easy to agree with Steve, isn't it?

I have another request that may take a lot of additional effort
but may pay off quite handsomely.  I don't have the staying power
to make it work, unfortunately: if one compared two consecutive
outputs from "security", one may well pick up additional changes,
which would be more difficult to spot otherwise.

Certainly, it's often struck me as a useful step, but of course I
may be imagining things :-)

++L