Subject: Re: multibyte locale stuff
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2001 00:22:07
>	i'll enable multibyte LC_CTYPE locale stuff in libc shortly.
>	there's a long discussion on PR 12017 and tech-userlevel in the past.
>	to summarize:
>	- libc.a (for static linked binary) can enjoy singlebyte locale only.
>	- libc.so (for shared binary) can enjoy multibyte locale library
>	  support.  multibyte locale support needs /usr/lib/runemodule/*.so to
>	  get dlopen'ed at runtime.

	it was found that, with older crt0.o, it is impossible to use dlopen()
	from within libc (unless the user application code uses dlopen already).
	if we put reference to libc, older binaries dies with unresolvable
	symbol.  i'll try to hack it up, or change some strategy.  anyway,
	it won't appear too soon.  sorry about the noise.

itojun