Subject: __progname (was Re: audit of syslog(3) usage...)
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/21/2001 20:02:07
> 	- On a tangental point, if we get around to replacing
> 		const char *__progname
> 	  with something more portable like:
> 		const char *getprogname(const char *argv0)

I would hope not.  Speaking with my application-author hat on, one of
the biggest wins of __progname is that it *doesn't* require me to
preserve argv[0] from main down to the usage point (which usually means
either a shared global or an extra argument down through the call
chain, the latter sometimes bordering on impossible).  It's nice enough
that I even went to the trouble to produce a localized crt0 with
__progname on the SunOS machines I have occasion to build code on.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca