Subject: Re: isprint() and isblank()
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/20/2001 21:10:27
On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Matthias Buelow wrote:

# Christos Zoulas writes:
#
# >Another less intrusive/uglier technique is to change isblank(c) to have
# >|| ((c) == '\t') with a comment that we will fix it properly in libc for
# >the next version. But we all know that the next version of libc will not
# >happen :-)
# >
# >Unfortunately this has the nasty side effect that c will be evaluated twice,
# >in isblank().
#
# which is not permissible by the C standard and would be a cure that
# kills the patient anyways.

What in the _world_ are you talking about?!?  It's perfectly reasonable to
do multiple comparisons/evaluations so long as you are not changing the
value of the thing being evaluated in the process.

is perfectly legal, even in the context of isblank, because nothing
is being modified between evaluations.

# mkb

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Microsoft ask you where you want to go.  BSD gets you there.