Subject: Re: Replacing in-tree gawk with nawk ?
To: Simon Burge <>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/18/2001 12:35:48
Simon Burge wrote:
> My only concern would be that people might have used GNUisms
> in existing scripts and that these would break.  Do you have
> a comparision of language features between the two?

Well, hopefully not much - awk is defined by POSIX, after all.
gawk manpage mentions these extensions in description of --posix
              o \x escape sequences are not recognized.

              o Only space and tab act as field  separators  when
                FS is set to a single space, newline does not.

              o The  synonym func for the keyword function is not

              o The operators ** and **= cannot be used in  place
                of ^ and ^=.

              o The fflush() function is not available.

These should be pretty easy to deal with.

Jaromir Dolecek <>
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  @@@@