Subject: Re: Replacing in-tree gawk with nawk ?
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dolecek?= <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/17/2001 22:08:27
[ On Monday, January 15, 2001 at 08:22:59 (-0800), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Replacing in-tree gawk with nawk ?
>
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:34:48PM +0100, Jaromír Dolecek wrote:
>
>  > I don't have much experience with nawk. What do you think, is it
>  > good enough replacement of gawk ?
>
> Yes, I do -- but we need to make sure to scrub our in-tree scripts
> for gawk dependencies, or add some of the gawk features to nawk.

The "One True AWK", from its namesake, is a most excellent awk!

Just in case anyone's forgotten, I've been using the real awk for quite
some time as the sole awk on my production NetBSD machines.  (I do have
mawk installed on the development machines and lots of Autoconf
configure scripts find, and seem to prefer, it....)

Anyway, I think all the patches I submitted to de-GNU-ify the
pkgsrc-related awk scripts have been applied, and I don't think any new
issues have crept back in.  I don't recall any issues outside of that.

--
							Greg A. Woods