Subject: Re: changes to top to print wchan for sleeping procs
To: enami tsugutomo <enami@but-b.or.jp>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/17/2001 18:07:57
John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu> writes:
> How about if we do the non-wait-channel states in CAPS, and the wait
> channels in small letters?  This should be pretty clearly visible...
> This would even work with the cpu indicators (which I like).

That sounds reasonable to me too. Better than any of my suggestions.

Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> writes:
> Well, keep the "state" column to make the "sleep" obvious, and add a
> "wchan" column.

That adds 8 columns (or so) which either makes the display > 80
columns (which is a definite no-no, since many people run top on text
displays), or necessitates removal of other useful information (and
I'm sure we'd get complaints about that too).

I'd rather have the extra info, and am fairly certain just about
anybody else would catch on rather quickly.  The capacity of the human
brain to adapt to and understand new presentations of familiar data is
truly amazing. ;-)