Subject: Re: SCSI device tuning tool
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/14/2001 18:22:15
> A surprising number of disks come from the manufacturer without
> bad-sector reallocation enabled by default [...] and I still think
> the NetBSD SCSI driver should always force AWRE and ARRE to be on all
> of the time (except maybe for AWRE if the device is only open
> read-only),

I don't.  If for any reason I have a disk set to no auto reallocation,
I do not want the driver to take it upon itself to assume that's a
mistake on my part.  In particular, that would make it impossible to do
diagnostic surface scans with the likes of sdd (or at least it would be
much less useful to try to).

Printing a warning, fine.  Changing it, not fine.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca