Subject: Re: is bootpd still relevant
To: Stephen Welker <stephen.welker@nemostar.com.au>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/11/2001 10:25:24
On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 10:17:55AM +1100, Stephen Welker wrote:
> --On Wednesday, 10 January 2001 11:38 PM Luke Mewburn wrote:
>
> > hi
> >
> > given that we have shipped dhcpd for a release (or two), is it worth
> > continuing to ship bootpd (and its associated programs)? we don't even
> > provide startup scripts for bootpd.
> >
> > thoughts/comments?
>
> Just a simple thoought. Apple Computer Inc.
>
> I believe that all Open Firmware Macs (1996+) support Net Booting (aka
> bootp) as Apple calls it.
>
> It is used to download a very large "boot image" (actually most of the
> MacOS) then attaches itself to an AppleShareIP server. Each of these boot
> images are customised for each client (standard bootp?).
>
> Just another thing that NetBSD can do for the world.
>
> May be bootp just needs freshening up?

ISC dhcpd (the one in our tree) can talk bootp to clients; I've been doing
that for a couple of years to some *very* old bootp clients (which aren't
dhcpd aware).

Still, I've taken people's point about bootp at least potentially
being a bit more stable than dhcp at the moment, and I'll leave it
alone.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org