Subject: Re: is bootpd still relevant
To: tech-userlevel@netbsd.org <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Welker <stephen.welker@nemostar.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/11/2001 10:17:55
--On Wednesday, 10 January 2001 11:38 PM Luke Mewburn wrote:

> hi
>
> given that we have shipped dhcpd for a release (or two), is it worth
> continuing to ship bootpd (and its associated programs)? we don't even
> provide startup scripts for bootpd.
>
> thoughts/comments?

Just a simple thoought. Apple Computer Inc.

I believe that all Open Firmware Macs (1996+) support Net Booting (aka
bootp) as Apple calls it.

It is used to download a very large "boot image" (actually most of the
MacOS) then attaches itself to an AppleShareIP server. Each of these boot
images are customised for each client (standard bootp?).

Just another thing that NetBSD can do for the world.

May be bootp just needs freshening up?

--
regards,
Stephen Welker,