Subject: Re: obsoleting /usr/include/sys/md[45].h
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dolecek?= <>
From: Greywolf <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/11/2000 15:03:23
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Jaromír Dolecek wrote:

# Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:03:37 +0100 (CET)
# From: Jaromír Dolecek <>
# To: Frank van der Linden <>
# Cc:
# Frank van der Linden wrote:
# > I think he's talking about things like 3rd party device drivers.
# > You should be able to develop one without having syssrc, like
# > on Solaris.
# Well, the support for this on Solaris is there primarily because
# their syssrc is NOT available. Ours is, so IMHO we don't really need this.
# I seriously doubt that one would want to do kernel development
# and won't want to have also syssrc around.

Um, "insufficient disk space"?

Perhaps there should be a sysinc tarball which only includes the header
files, in this case?  [this would be subsumed by the pkgizing of what to

I was really surprised once under 4.3 BSD to discover that /usr/include/sys
was a link to /sys(->/usr/src/sys)/sys, that /usr/include/machine was
a link to /sys/machine, etc. and that I couldn't compile anything because
the system source was locked off (we fixed that in short order).

# Jaromir
# --
# Jaromir Dolecek <>
# @@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, damn!  @@@@