Subject: Re: getopt replacement, part 2
To: Simon J. Gerraty <>
From: Thomas Klausner <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/2000 14:45:39

Mutt made me believe that Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> As to one of your earlier comments about "-" in optstr, its actually
> quite handy - after a simple bug fix to getopt(3) so that --foo is
> not interpreted as --. The one can have -: in optstr and get a simple hook
> to pickup --long_options of course one could argue that if you want that
> you should use gnu getopt, but the munging described above suggests that
> gnu getopt is more trouble that its worth.

I'm not completely sure I understand this paragraph, but here goes:
If you want to parse long-options, just use getopt_long, which has
been in libc for some months now.

Thomas Klausner -
A man may be very industrious, and yet not spend his time well. There is no
more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of life getting
his living. -- Henry David Thoreau