Subject: Re: /etc/security and NIS
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/16/2000 09:43:02
On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 04:45:48PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> I recently switched from manual account copy to NIS in my local network.
> Now I get error messages like this from "/etc/security":
>
> Checking the /etc/master.passwd file:
> [...]
> Login +tron has non-alphanumeric characters.
> Login +tron has no password.
> Login +tron does not have a valid shell ()
> Login +tron has a negative user id.
> Login +tron has a negative group id.

What's the entry are you using in /etc/master.passwd for ``tron''?
Is there any reason you just don't use nsswitch.conf's
	``passwd: files nis''
syntax (besides the fact that you have a lot of people in the NIS
database who you don't want access to your NetBSD machine)?

It *is* possible that /etc/security needs work to correctly support
the password `compat' syntax.