Subject: Re: Switching from old-style getopt to new-style one
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/01/2000 22:19:44
On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

# Right, it should be "c:" and not ":c" - braino.
#
# The way that I understand the new getopt's behaviour (from the
# description seen here) is that any valid options _anywhere_ in
# the command line will be parsed.  If I've got that wrong, I'll
# just crawl back into my shell (ahem!) and shut up :-)

No, you've got it right.  And THAT behaviour, the new behaviour,
strikes me (and apparently others) as ... well, _wrong_.

"The first non-option argument or sequence should terminate option
processing."

I don't suppose "tar" would be a good counterexample to that,
would it? :-)

				--*greywolf;
--
My other computer runs *BSD