Subject: Re: mount*(8) linked as one binary ?
To: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ibis.cz>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/28/2000 07:16:02
On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Jarom=EDr Dolecek wrote:
> Matthew Orgass wrote:
> >   Also, while this way of combining mount programs is an improvement, i=
> > is still far from optimal.  Far too much code is duplicated and mount
> > still execs mount_foo even if it is the same binary.  Further, the code
> > that does the actual mounting should be placed into a libadmin so that
> > other administration programs that want to mount can do so without
> > reinventing, rewriting, or copying the code.
>=20
> Are are any such tools ?

  I don't know for sure that there are any now, although I imagine some of
the web configuration packages do this.  However I think the creation of
these types of tools should be encouraged since they make the system
considerably more friendly to casual users.  While the mount code does not
add a whole lot toward that goal, it would be easy enough to do whenever
the larger structural changes that the mount utilities need take place.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net