Subject: Re: mount*(8) linked as one binary ?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/27/2000 22:20:14
On 27 Oct 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> I'm not sure it's a problem worth solving, but it's actually similar
> to a larger problem within NetBSD that is more likely to be worth
> solving: it's pretty much impossible to disable builds of "random
> programs" in any kind of centralized way.  if you want to do that,
> you've gotta go in and hack makefiles, which is kinda losing.

  The solution to this problem is to packageize the base system.

  Also, while this way of combining mount programs is an improvement, it
is still far from optimal.  Far too much code is duplicated and mount
still execs mount_foo even if it is the same binary.  Further, the code
that does the actual mounting should be placed into a libadmin so that
other administration programs that want to mount can do so without
reinventing, rewriting, or copying the code.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net