Subject: Re: mount*(8) linked as one binary ?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/27/2000 17:23:32
On 27 Oct 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org> writes:
> > What about fb's implementation of EXCLUDE_SUBDIRS?
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-misc/2000/08/23/0000.html
>
> It looks like a good idea to me, but a bit flawed... and of course
> it's never been committed.  8-)

I meant to look at it again, taking objections into account, but I
just haven't gotten around to it.

> In particular, the flaw is that it's yet another thing that requires
> BSDSRCDIR to be set.
>
> Really, BSDSRCDIR is broken.  The source tree should not need to know
> where it currently lives, in order to build with full capabilities.
> Requiring that defeats use of NFS in many situations, makes moving
> source trees harder, etc.

What's the problem, really? It looks to me like just one more thing to
set in /etc/mk.conf or on the command line.

> To solve that right, basically, every directory needs to know 'where'
> it lives in the source tree.  (It would also be best if they did the
> right thing if not in a complete source tree, too.  8-) I'd actually
> expect that that wouldn't be hard to do with a bit of Makefile.inc
> hackery, but i've never tried it.

I tried to expand ${.CURDIR} and save it (SAVED_DIR:=${.CURDIR}), and
use that, but it didn't seem to be doing the right thing. I'm starting
to think there must be a reason why most projects set $TOPDIR or $SRCDIR.

Frederick