Subject: Re: mount*(8) linked as one binary ?
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/27/2000 10:45:10
David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org> writes:
> What about fb's implementation of EXCLUDE_SUBDIRS?
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-misc/2000/08/23/0000.html

It looks like a good idea to me, but a bit flawed... and of course
it's never been committed.  8-)

In particular, the flaw is that it's yet another thing that requires
BSDSRCDIR to be set.

Really, BSDSRCDIR is broken.  The source tree should not need to know
where it currently lives, in order to build with full capabilities.
Requiring that defeats use of NFS in many situations, makes moving
source trees harder, etc.

To solve that right, basically, every directory needs to know 'where'
it lives in the source tree.  (It would also be best if they did the
right thing if not in a complete source tree, too.  8-) I'd actually
expect that that wouldn't be hard to do with a bit of Makefile.inc
hackery, but i've never tried it.

chris