Subject: Re: airport codes.
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/19/2000 05:06:21
>changes.  do airports and zipcodes disappear?

I remember hearing a couple of years ago that KCI recently regained its
International status (for a long time, it had regressed to domestic
flights only, I gather).  I don't know if they had/chose to remove the
``International'' from their name when they only had domestic flights.

Certainly, one can imagine airports falling into disuse.

(Side: KCI is listed as MCI in our airports file.  Technically, it is in
Missouri, but I've always heard it referred to as KCI.  Dunno what they
call themselves.  This could be your first assignment to investigate and
possibly fix...(^&)

Re. keeping such information in the base distribution: I like having those
files there.  A package might be a reasonable comporomise, though it's
nice to ``just have it'' without having to think about installing it: You
can stumble upon /usr/share/misc, but you're less likely to dig it out of
the package system unless you're explicitly looking for it (and much less
likely are you to stumble across it on the web without actively searching
for it).  I guess that my desire for it is mostly one of sentimentalism,
however.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu