Subject: Re: airport codes.
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/19/2000 01:57:24
>last i saw, we ("NetBSD") develop an operating system and related
>software.

well...yes.

>I don't see how a list of airport codes is ... at all related to that.

well...uh...

>looking at stuff in share/misc:
>
>as far as i'm concerned, the following could go: birthtoken, flowers,
>inter.phone, na.phone, zipcodes.
>
>things which are only barely relevant: acrynyms, bsd-family-tree.

i always figured misc was a place for little things that didn't have a
better home.  i guess you could make individual homes for mostof them,
or take the non-system related ones and stuff them in something call
/usr/share/foo?

>... but maybe mine is a bit more of an extreme point of view than you
>might like.

i, for one, have always been *delighted* that those things are there.

it's invaluable to me to quickly look up which area code is calling
me, or from what city a zip code originates.  i even added lat+long
data to my zip codes file so that i can do rough (really, really
rough) estimates of driving time from point a to point b.

some of the other stuff is a little more esoteric, but i'd hate to
have to search around on the "web" for it if it wasn't installed here.
why throw away good data?

maybe move them.  don't lose them.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|