Subject: Re: airport codes.
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/18/2000 23:44:54
On 18 Oct 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

# Date: 18 Oct 2000 22:42:29 -0700
# From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
# To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
# Cc: tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
#
# simonb@wasabisystems.com (Simon Burge) writes:
# > We currently have a list of approximately 370 airports listed in
# > /usr/share/misc/airport.  There's at least one database on the
# > 'net that has over 14000 airports listed (with a rough size of
# > 800kB).  Should we:
# >
# >   + update our airport database with all known airports?
# >   + keep our list as-is (ie, what people want in there and no
# >     more)?
# >   + junk our list altogether because there's more complete
# >     information available elsewhere?
# >
# > What are people's feelings on this?
#
# last i saw, we ("NetBSD") develop an operating system and related
# software.
#
# I don't see how a list of airport codes is ... at all related to that.
#
#
# looking at stuff in share/misc:
#
# as far as i'm concerned, the following could go: birthtoken, flowers,
# inter.phone, na.phone, zipcodes.
#
# things which are only barely relevant: acrynyms, bsd-family-tree.
#
#
# as far as i'm concerned, the only reason most of the games are
# relevant is because they've "always" been there and for at least most
# of them there's no external canonical source for them.  If somebody
# wanted to rip them out and maintain them externally, I think i'd
# support it.  It'd be great if they were all autoconf'd and stuff.
#
#
# ... but maybe mine is a bit more of an extreme point of view than you
# might like.

I'd say if we must migrate them out that we pkgize them so that they're
easily added back in if need be.  I reference na.phone and zipcodes
on a regular basis, myself, and I'd be kinda sore if they went missing
suddenly -- I might find myself on a system with no networking for
a while, and if the info's not there, where do I get it?

Just gotta make sure I have it right is all, I guess.

# chris

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: A drinking group with a serious computing problem.