Subject: Re: bin/10985 (skel files)
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/29/2000 13:18:15
[ sorry for the direct CC Hubert & Alistair but I'm not sure if
  you're both on tech-userlevel ]

Summary of the PR:

	We currently have three places for skeleton files:

	 * /etc/skel: empty
	 * /usr/share/skel: dot.cshrc, ...
	 * /usr/share/examples/usermgmt: .cshrc, .lgin, ...

	useradd(8) manages to pick the empty one as default.

Summary of discussion in PR:

	Having somewhere that isn't overwritten on upgrades
	is good (people customise skel files).  Having two
	directories in /usr/share with examples is bad.

How about the following approach:

 + merge /usr/share/skel and /usr/share/examples/usermgmt into
   /usr/share/skel (I think this name makes more sense than
   usermgmt).
 + add a "make distribution" target to share/skel/Makefile to
   install the examples into /etc/skel.

Is this a reasonable comprimise?

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/