Subject: Re: Possible rc.conf / default/rc.conf enhancements...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/23/2000 16:24:59
[ On Saturday, September 23, 2000 at 09:38:26 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Possible rc.conf / default/rc.conf enhancements...
>
> Agreed.  A notice in rc.conf referring the admin to the original file in
> /etc/default(s) is a good idea, but if we're going to put commented out
> defaults in /etc/rc.conf, then the one to which it refers should be put
> into an examples area someplace and not referenced via . at all.

I wasn't going to risk saying that and providing too many options in my
argument, but that's exactly right!

> Or we can leave it the way it is.  I like the nice uncluttered rc.conf
> I have :-).

See!  I(/we) told ``you'' so!  :-)

Just wait until you've got a small army of similar looking, but all
different, machines to work with.  Having just those items which make
the system "unique" (i.e. different from the virgin install) listed in
rc.conf again makes it possible to hold more than one system's
configuration in your mind while you compare it with several others.

--
							Greg A. Woods