Subject: Re: Generation of html from man pages.
To: None <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Phil Nelson <philnelson@home.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/22/2000 09:07:15
>I saw no answer and you didn't wait long enough to make it possible
>to write one.

I got several answers, but I now realize that they were directed
directly at me, not the list.  I should have waited longer.  Sorry.

>I don't think it is a good idea to bloat the tree size.

I may not have been clear enough.  With these changes, the html
target is never built in any of the distribution builds.  And it
was not my intent to build and ship html.  I just wanted an
"easy" to build all html files for use on www.netbsd.org and this
looked to me like the smallest change to the tree that would allow
automatic build/install of html pages when wanted.

>And you didn't change the mtree files.

True, but that is part of the process and I hadn't gotten there
yet.  There is also quite a few man pages that need fixing
and doc2html also needs a fix.  But that is part of the process.

>I think you want to bring this onto the 1.5 branch.

I don't believe I ever said that.  I had considered that, but
decided that it was not necessary because I did not intend
to have the html stuff built and distributed.   If enough
people said it was important, then pull-ups would be requested.

I have already requested a pull-up for a man page error that
was discovered and fixed by my work with doc2html.  And I
expect several others.

--
Phil Nelson
e-mail: philnelson@home.com  (Work: phil@cs.wwu.edu)