Subject: Re: /etc/default ickiness...
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/21/2000 13:52:28
[ On Thursday, September 21, 2000 at 08:18:28 (+0100), David Brownlee wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/default ickiness...
>
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > I'm told that even "vi" can copy lines from one file to another with
> > relative ease (you just can't see both files at the same time if you've
> > only one terminal session).
>
> 	Just to chime in here:
>
> 	vi rc.conf default/rc.conf
> 	:N
>
> 	Use ^W to swap the cursor from the top to the bottom window.

Wow!  Nvi is cool!  :-)  Thanks!  And it sort of works multiple times
too!  How do you select which file should be in which window though?

The manual doesn't mentiong :N, but it does talk about ^W.  There's a
lot of confusing terminology in there too about screens, windows, and
such so I can't even begin to figure out what's being described without
first experimenting with it.  Vi should take a lesson from emacs on
using such terms consistently.

(Surprisingly the first :q (or :q!) just closes the second window!  What
a bizarrely inconsistent user interface!  Oh, but this *is* vi, isn't
it! ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods