Subject: Re: Whois vs. networksolutions
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/19/2000 16:14:06
[ On Tuesday, September 19, 2000 at 15:24:26 (-0400), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Whois vs. networksolutions
> If we want a "standard" whois server, until such time that our whois is a
> bit smarter, it must be, with no exceptions.  We cannot
> use in that case either.  The drawback here is
> that provides no way to recurse to the appropriate whois
> server automatically.

Indeed if the whois client isn't going to do the recursive lookup then
it must default only to "".

The whois client program available at
is by and far the best "smart" client that not only knows how to do
recursive queries, but also knows about many other top-level WHOIS
servers.  The code is still a bit grotty and it's still not using
external tables, but it works a lot better than my old "awhois" script
(my script tried to do similar things with the plain old whois client).

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>