Subject: Whois vs. networksolutions
To: None <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/19/2000 15:24:26
[per request of jhawk, moved to tech-userlevel]

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, John Hawkinson wrote:

: > > This changes the Network Solutions server to, to avoid
: > > Netsol's self-advertising bull!@*# and add _some_ recursion capability
: > > (OpenSRS will do a recursion automatically for all registries).

: I don't think this is a good idea. Choosing one, non-standard registrar
: for a database that's administered by Netsol. Sucky as they may be, I don't
: think this change is appropriate.

The prior server, is not "standard" either.

In case you missed it, domain names were deregulated a while ago.  Netsol
doesn't "own" the ./.COM/.ORG/.NET registry anymore, even if they currently
host the root name server database.  ICANN now controls the flow of that
information.  However, ICANN offers only rwhois service, so a regular whois
client, which does not understand the rwhois protocol, won't be able to do
anything useful with it.

If we want a "standard" whois server, until such time that our whois is a
bit smarter, it must be, with no exceptions.  We cannot
use in that case either.  The drawback here is
that provides no way to recurse to the appropriate whois
server automatically.

Blame Erik Fair for starting it, if you wish:  he changed it from to before the 1.5 branch.
(Cynical grin notwithstanding.  8^)

-- Todd Vierling <>  *